Monday, February 6, 2012

Spoonflower

If you are not familiar with Spoonflower, allow me to introduce you... Spoonflower is a wonderful website where you can design and digitally print your own fabric(yardage!), and even sell it, if you'd like.  I know.  Awesome. (I am seriously restraining myself from getting overexcited here.)  In 2008, when I first got word of this fantastic operation, they were simply printing on quilting cotton, which was thrilling enough.  Now, the fabric selection ranges from crepe de chine silk to upholstery weight cotton(yeah!!).  Ever since I heard that any of this was possible(for just ANYONE to do! starting at just $16 per yard!), I have been dreaming of the day that I would order my own yardage.  It seems silly that it has taken so long (especially seeing as I have sketchbooks and computer folders packed with patterns) but that day has finally come!
And, as chance would have it, while I was getting the ball rolling, Spoonflower decided to make art deco the theme for an upcoming weekly contest.  Im not usually into art contests(I somehow avoided entering any in school, much to the chagrin of my professors, who often planned units around them), but, deco is one of my all time favorite genres/inspirations(see many things here), and I am so excited to be a part of the Spoonflower community... I couldnt resist participating.
(here's where those deco deer finally come in)
So, if it strikes your fancy, become a Spoonflower member(or maybe you already are? have you heard that you can create your OWN fabric? what?!) and throw my pattern a vote before Wednesday evening!  You can actually vote for as many patterns as you'd like(only one ballot per person, but as many votes as you care to distribute).  I voted for my own print(duh) and four others, and continue to be told that I clearly do not understand competition.  Oh well.  Either way, be on the lookout for future posts on this new adventure .... I get my first samples in this week!

3 comments:

  1. SO COOL AMY!!! good luck! I have to go take a look!

    Oh P.S. Can you sew? (of course you probably can and that's a stupid question) and will you be making clothes/items with your fabric?

    I want to make some yardage but I do not sew anything but loose buttons.
    I do have a sewing machine I'm afraid of!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Julia! You would LOVE this site! I can just picture some cute little black cats frolicking around some fabric

    I wish I could sew, it would be a really useful skill. But alas, my mastery is about on par with yours. I have made some attempts, but my sewing machine is growing dusty. Maybe someday Ill get the hang of it... Either way, I would love to make clothing with my fabric(and fortunately know some skilled people who might help me take a crack at it)!

    I will keep you posted on the progress!

    all the best,
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooooh that TOMATO RED!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...