Thursday, August 18, 2011

paper play

Having fun messing around with a few leftover scraps from a recent portrait I made...
The love I have for cut paper shapes is no mystery.  I spent much of my childhood perched atop a stool next to my dad in our home studio while he was cutting and pasting up things like this...
I was his partner in paper cutting crime...I scribbled up six year old ideas for page layouts and, due to his colorblindness, it was often my job to pick out the giant pieces of bright paper that lived in the files under the desk, and assign them to their various parts.  This sometimes made for pirates with purple bandannas and turquoise ballerinas, but it all worked out well, just the same since (at the time) he was illustrating for an audience around my age.  I think it was some of the best(and most fun) training in my artistic career.

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...